Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Departed

So keeping up with these awesome mob movies, lets talk about 2006's best picture winner...
The Departed

2006: The Departed
Beat Out: Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine and The Queen
Well-Known Quotes: "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." "I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy."

To me The Departed is like the epitome of what a "best picture" should be. It gets really confusing to think about what makes a movie a best picture winner, what makes it a best screenplay winner, or a best direction winner. Like what's the difference? Movies are all different so how can you pick a winner? I never really knew the answer to this, I mean there is no answer. But after watching The Departed I just couldn't help but being absolutley sure that this movie deserved to win. I couldn't really figure it out. I mean I didn't think there was this great message or a break out star....it was the story. For me thats what makes a best picture, the story that it tells and the way that the different characters and elements of the movie contribute and interact to tell it. I think the story in The Departed was told exceptionally well. I mean, that's what movies are right? They're stories.

The Departed tells the story of two "rats" Billy Costigan (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) and Colin Sullivan (played by Matt Damon). Billy is an undercover cop working as a worker for mob boss Frank Costello (played by Jack Nicholson), while Colin is a loyal follower of Costello working as a cop.

This film is unique because all the characters are extremely important. To me there is no "star." Sure you might think DiCaprio or Damon act as the movie's main characters...but the way I see it the story being told is way bigger than any one character.

In fact, if I HAD to pick the characters/actors that stood out to me, it'd probably be Mark Wahlberg (yeah yeah, Marky Mark from the 90's) and Martin Sheen. Both play police officers working with Billy, and both contribute greatly to the story. Walhberg earned himself a best supporting actor nod for his role. Damn he's come a long way...





I just love how basically for the whole movie you're watching the stories of two seperate people, who are really complete opposites in their characteristics and goals...yet they share so much. They share the same woman, interact with the same people, and are both desperate to find the other one. All this built up tension and anticipation is let out perfectly in the scene where Billy and Colin talk on the phone. Actually, they barely talk, they just breathe and acknowledge that they are both talking to rats. So little actually happens in this scene, yet I found my heart racing and my eyes closing in fear. Both actors do an amazing job here portraying to us how pivitol this moment is expressing all the trouble they have gone through in being a rat, and finding one. 


One of the main reasons I loved this movie is because it had the ability to surprise me. I mean (SPOILER ALERT) basically everyone dies...and I don't know about you guys but I did NOT expect this to happen at all....
my jaw literally dropped, and I started freaking out. Just when you finally think Colin has been caught, this happens. Not only does he get away, the only person who knows he's the rat is now dead. UGH!

But of course, in the end this movie kicks butt. I love love love Matt Damon (this love will be explained in later posts), but in the end he got his and I was so happy. As the credits started rolling, there was a huge smile on my face. I just love how basically every scene was instrumental in finally catching him, every scene mattered...in the end it all mattered. OH! and notice the rat on the ledge at the end...SO GOOD!
You go Mark Wahlberg! 

So in case you guys couldn't tell...I definitely think that The Departed deserved its Oscar. 

Fun Fact: Director Martin Scorsese won his first oscar for achievement in directing for this movie (crazy I know). Previously he had been nominated 7 times, 5 of which were for directing. Since then he has been nominated another time for achievement in directing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment