Saturday, April 21, 2012

the movie that made me love movies

I figured today we would talk about the movie that kind of started this all. The movie that made me love movies....Good Will Hunting



1997: Nominated for Best Picture
Beat By: Titanic
Well-known quotes: "How do you like them apples?" "Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself" "I gotta see about a girl"

I remember the first time I watched Good Will Hunting. It was the first time I got that feeling, the one that tells me that I'm watching an awesome movie. It signifies that the movie is better than your average movie, the ones I was used to seeing at the point. It says that there's something special about it. 

I think for Good Will Hunting that something special is the writing. Now don't get me wrong, there are many things about this movie that I find awesome. But it's the words, the way the characters say them and the interactions that really got me. I just love how in the end, everything connects, and everything makes sense. 

The screenplay was actually written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, two of the movie's stars. They won best original screenplay, which to this day is one of my favorite Oscar moments. Ben Affleck became the youngest person to win the Oscar, at the age of 25. I found the win extremely endearing, especially because they were such young, modest men. Also, their real friendship can be seen so clearly, it's a great thing.
In the movie the two play best friends Will (Damon) and Chuckie (Affleck). They live in Boston and go about their daily routine of hanging out, going to bars and living the lives that were dictated to them as children. They don't try or expect to go anywhere in life besides where they've always been. But Will has a brilliant mind, being able to solve mathematical equations that no one else can with ease.

The struggle that Will goes through as to if he should take advantage of this gift or stay in his mundane life with his best friends is what makes this movie so great. I know that most viewers over look this, but Will and Chuckie's friendship is one of my favorite aspects of the movie....responsible for my favorite scene in the movie.


To me, Affleck is the star here. I love how he's not even really in the movie that much, not really considered a "main character," be he contributes so much to the movie. I love when secondary characters play important roles, I prefer that over a movie with only a few main characters. Ben Affleck is one of my favorite actors, and he's totally under rated.

Robin Williams is also a standout star here, playing Sean, Will's therapist that he's forced to go to after being arrested. He has his moments of great subtlety, sitting quietly as Will insults him and gives him a hard time. But his real contribution to the movie, is his scenes when he's talking about his deceased wife. Williams is so good at portraying wisdom, and making it seem so simple. He gives endless profound advice about love and soul mates, and it gives a sort of hope to those of us watching, that love really is that simple.

 

 

Well done Robin Williams, no wonder he won the Oscar for best supporting actor

The way this story is told is extremely profound because it showcases simple people going through their lives and portraying an amazing message. Friendship, love, settling and the lives we strive to have. In the end, everything is connected and you can see that lessons are learned by all the characters. 



So, even though Good Will Hunting didn't win best picture, I still think it deserved to. And in the end, it doesn't matter, because this is still one of the best movies I've ever seen. And my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment